The compact dual-display peak-voltage ignition tester that makes trouble-shooting ignition problems in a V twin or multi-cylinder engine easier, or even comparing ignition signals of two different engines!
Ignition signals are fast, high voltage, pulses of energy that can damage even a good digital multimeter whereas the IgnitionMate DUO has been specially designed to measure and dynamically display both primary and secondary ignition signals on bright LED bargraph displays.
The application of this versatile tool is based on two basic points:
- Works on different types of ignition systems (AC-CDI, DC-CDI, transistor, magneto, coil & ‘points’) Ignition systems have the same basic components with signals measured being generally similar in nature and magnitude.
- No disassembling of ignition components are required. This avoids accidentally introducing, or correcting, poor contacts in the system, which may further confuse and delay resolution of unidentified problems.
The same signal on two different cylinders can be compared, including:
- Secondary high tension / peak volts – 20, 40 kV scales – use the caliper to measure high voltage between the ignition coil and the sparkplug.
- SPARK current – measure the consistency of the high voltage spark current signal and find / see misfires.
- Primary low tension / peak volts – 400Vpk scales – use the RED & BLACK silicon tester cables to measure primary (input) ignition coil voltag
- CYLINDERS : 2
- METHOD : Compare and display the same signal on two different cylinders.
- DISPLAY / RESOLUTION : 2 x display of 40 x hi-bright LEDs.
- SELECT / ADJUST :
- Center selector : 400VPK, 20kV, 40kV, SPARK.
- Polarity of kV voltage : each display independently. (Single output coils have negative signals and dual output coils have negative and positive signals.)
- Reference: Select LEFT or RIGHT display as reference (e.g. select good engine or cylinder as reference).
- SPARK sensitivity : Selecting coarse or fine damping of spark signal.
- POWER ON/OFF including ‘auto off’ if no signal is measured.
- POWER : 7.2V NiMH rechargeable battery provides 6 hours autonomy, external supply of 12V DC (11 – 15Vdc).
- STYLE / INCLUDED : The standard kit includes the instrument with shock resistant & water resistant composite molded polyurethane & polycarbonate casing with durable polycarbonate labels and rubber sealed and protected switches, 2 x matched combination spark cable caliper pick-ups with silicon lead, 2 x silicon test lead set with insulated crocodile clips and 2 x Probulator back probe sets, 12VDC 6 ½ ft / 200cm power lead, instruction manual & quick reference guide all packed in a custom carry case.